News
‘Unlawful Operation’: Bolt Says Murdered Driver Isaac Satlat Used Another’s Profile, No Compensation
The e-hailing platform Bolt has confirmed that 22-year-old Nigerian driver Isaac Satlat, whose murder earlier this month sparked outrage and renewed calls for driver safety, was operating under another person’s registered profile at the time of his death.
In a statement issued to IOL, the company described the situation as “profile sharing” a practice strictly prohibited under its terms of service. The confirmation carries a painful corollary: Satlat’s family will not receive compensation from the platform.
The Fourth Suspect Appears
The development comes as the fourth suspect linked to Satlat’s killing is expected to appear in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, joining three co-accused already in custody. The arrests followed the circulation of dashcam footage showing Satlat being brutally attacked and strangled by passengers who had requested a ride in Pretoria West.
What Bolt Found
Following an internal investigation, Bolt determined that the driver profile active at the time of the incident was not registered to Satlat. It belonged to Wiseman Makobe, a registered driver with an active account.
According to Bolt, Makobe completed the required verification process on the day of the incident. After that verification, Satlat operated using Makobe’s profile.
“This constitutes profile sharing. The profile has since been permanently hard-blocked and banned from operating on the platform,” the company said.
Bolt stressed that profile sharing is prohibited because it “undermines passenger trust, compromises safety and violates its agreements with drivers.”
No Compensation
The company clarified its compensation policy: comprehensive support applies when drivers are operating lawfully under their own verified profiles. This includes compensation in the event of death, serious injury, disability, and medical expenses.
But where impersonation or profile sharing occurs, Bolt stated, the individual is considered to be operating unlawfully and outside the scope of the platform’s protections. Therefore, compensation policies do not apply.
“To protect the integrity of the investigation and respect all parties involved, we are unable to share further details at this time,” the company added.
Safety Measures and Regulation
Bolt said it has implemented safeguards to combat profile sharing, including:
-
Mandatory identity verification
-
Regular in-app selfie checks
-
Device monitoring
-
Data-led risk detection systems
-
Immediate suspension or permanent bans where violations are identified
The company welcomed the formal regulation of the e-hailing sector, describing South Africa as one of its largest global markets.
A Community in Mourning
For the e-hailing community, the revelation adds a layer of tragedy to an already devastating loss. Satlat was an aspiring engineering graduate, working as a driver to supplement his income. His murder, captured on camera, became a symbol of the dangers drivers face daily.
The E-Hailing Partners Council has long called for stronger passenger verification and security measures. While the arrests have been welcomed, the council has warned of “catch-and-release tendencies” in the justice system and demanded preventative action from platforms.
The Unanswered Question
The investigation continues. But for Satlat’s family, one question now has a cold answer: no, there will be no compensation. The policy is clear. The violation is confirmed. The tragedy, however, remains undiminished by technicalities.
A young man with dreams is dead. Four suspects face court. And the platform that facilitated the ridehowever unlawfullysays its obligations end at the line of its terms and conditions.
{Source: IOL}
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter , TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
