Culture Craze
Harry and Meghan to return to the UK and settle outside London, reports say
Prince Harry and Meghan plan to leave the US by month-end and settle in a private, non-royal residence outside London; their children are enrolled in UK school.
Prince Harry and Meghan plan to return to the United Kingdom within weeks and leave the United States by the end of the month, British press reported, saying the couple will settle in a private, non-royal residence outside London.
Move and family arrangements
Several UK outlets reported that the couple’s two children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, have been enrolled in a British school for the start of the school year in early September. Reports said the family had already chosen a new house, which would not be one of the royal residences.
Background and reaction
Harry and Meghan have lived in California since stepping down as working royals in 2020. The children had not seen their grandfather since 2022, the reports said.
The Press Association said King Charles III, 77, was made aware on Sunday that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex planned to return. The monarch “welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity,” but there will be no change in their status and the couple would still not be working royals, PA said.
Security and official statements
Harry has said he did not feel safe bringing his family to Britain after losing a court battle over government-funded police protection. He was quoted as saying last year:
“It’s impossible for me to take my family back to the UK safely.”
A Home Office spokesperson described Britain’s protective security system as “rigorous and proportionate”, and noted that decisions are taken by a committee whose members include the Home Office, the Metropolitan Police and the royal household.
Recent contacts and family dynamics
The reports followed a short visit the couple paid to the UK with the children in early July, during which they had a private meeting with King Charles. Harry has said he wanted to reconcile with his father, who was diagnosed with cancer two years ago and has been receiving treatment since; the type of cancer has never been revealed.
It was not immediately clear whether Prince William and his wife, Catherine, had been informed of the news. The two brothers have become estranged and reportedly no longer talk, the reports said.
Commentary and reported assets
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told GB News:
“My first thought frankly is… they failed to make it in the US… essentially they failed to be A-listers in Hollywood.”
The Sun said the couple would keep their Montecito home in California as well as a house in Portugal where they are believed to have vacationed this summer.
Past departures and deals
Harry and Meghan left Britain for North America in 2020 amid a bitter feud with his family that worsened after Harry published his memoir “Spare” and following a televised interview with Oprah Winfrey. The couple signed a deal with Netflix in 2020 that was reported as being worth an unconfirmed $100 million; the reports say many of their projects struggled with audiences. A new agreement with the US streaming giant in August 2025 was described as a “multi-year, first look deal” and was a looser arrangement.
All facts in this article are taken from British press reports and AFP coverage.
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: iol.co.za
