News
Menlo Park residents await demolition after illegal occupants evicted from former Scout Hall
Residents of Menlo Park say illegal occupants have been removed from the derelict Scout Hall but the promised demolition and clean-up are still outstanding.
Residents of Menlo Park are pressing the City of Tshwane for action after illegal occupants were evicted from a long‑abandoned municipal building but the site remains uncleared.
Eviction carried out, demolition not yet started
According to Rekord (part of The Citizen / Caxton Local Media), Ward 82 councillor Siobhan Muller said the illegal occupants had been removed from the property, but the site itself had still not been cleared.
Rekord reported that Muller said she had been told a bulldozer would arrive on August 18 to begin the next phase of work.
Residents demand clarity and immediate demolition
Rekord said residents have repeatedly raised the condition of the site with municipal officials and the MMC for Safety and Security over the past two years. In a petition quoted by Rekord, residents wrote:
“We the residents of Tshwane demand that COT take immediate action to evict the illegal occupants and then to immediately demolish the derelict municipal property.”
Rekord also reported that, according to Muller, residents are seeking clarity on when the promised demolition and clean‑up will be completed.
Concerns over safety and decay
Rekord said residents previously alleged that people were sleeping and living at the property, and that informal trading and other activities were taking place around the site.
Rekord reported that resident Quintin Wiehahn had previously said the property had become a source of fear, neglect and urban decay.
Community offers to help secure the site
Rekord noted that residents had offered to assist the municipality with securing the property once occupants were removed.
“Once TMPD has removed illegal occupants as per our request, we will place a full-time guard on the property at our own cost,” said Muller, quoted by Rekord.
What remains unclear
The future use, timing of demolition and clean‑up work at the former Scout Hall remain unresolved in reports to date.
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: citizen.co.za
