News
Funeral body urges action after men allegedly masturbate on graves at Verulam cemetery
Funeral body calls for decisive action after complaints that men have been masturbating on graves at Wick Street Local Cemetery in Verulam since January.
Residents and a funeral industry body are demanding urgent action after complaints that men have been masturbating on graves at a cemetery in Verulam, north of Durban.
Who reported the incidents
According to IOL, complaints were laid with private security company Reaction Unit SA (RUSA) about activity at the Wick Street Local Cemetery in the Verulam central business district. RUSA said the complaints began in January.
What has been reported
RUSA said the complaints involved up to four different men who have been using the graveyard during the day and in the evening, standing or lying on graves and tombstones while watching pornographic videos. The company said residents reported that the audio from the videos could be heard by children living in nearby residential complexes.
Local responses and security measures
RUSA said it was called in on a Monday morning by Project 360, a security and cleaning company that had been fielding complaints from people living in a block of flats beside the cemetery. Municipal workers and members of the public have reportedly tried to drive the men off, but RUSA said the individuals “allegedly return to the cemetery and continue their activities, at times in full view of members of the public.”
The private security company said its drone pilot would fly regular patrols over the cemetery, with reaction officers sent in when needed.
Funeral industry group demands government action
The Funeral Industry Reformed Association (FIRA) said it was concerned by the reports and called on government, municipalities and law enforcement to act decisively. FIRA chair Johan Rousseau was quoted saying:
“Cemeteries are places of dignity, remembrance and mourning. Families should be able to visit the graves of their loved ones without fear, intimidation, exposure to inappropriate behaviour or the desecration of sacred spaces.”
Rousseau added:
“We cannot normalise the deterioration of our cemeteries. Government must act, before neglect becomes normality.”
Ongoing concerns
RUSA said the men visit and leave the graveyard at various hours. The company described measures it was taking to respond to complaints while urging authorities to address broader issues of access control and municipal oversight.
According to IOL, the story and the quoted statements were reported by the news website.
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: iol.co.za
