Connect with us

News

Maradona death trial paused after claims kidney tests belonged to his father

The trial into Diego Maradona’s 2020 death was suspended after defence said kidney tests shown in court belonged to his father, forcing hearings to be adjourned.

Published

on

The criminal trial over Diego Maradona’s death has been suspended after defence lawyers said kidney test results presented in court belonged to the former player’s father. The hearings were adjourned to allow a review of the evidence.

What prompted the suspension

The defence told the court that kidney tests produced during the trial were those of Maradona’s father, who shared his name and died in 2015. The court adjourned the case until 27 August to allow time for a review of the evidence.

Background to the case

Seven healthcare workers face charges of criminal negligence over the care Maradona received while recuperating from surgery. The former Argentina international died aged 60 in November 2020.

The first trial was annulled last year after two-and-a-half months of hearings when it emerged that one of the judges had taken part in a clandestine documentary about the case. A new trial began in April and had been drawing near a close before the latest controversy.

Cause of death and allegations

Maradona died of heart failure and acute pulmonary edema a condition where fluid accumulates in the lungs at a rented home in the Buenos Aires suburb of Tigre. His death occurred two weeks after he underwent surgery for a brain clot. The medical team accused in the trial denies providing inadequate care.

Key testimony and possible consequences

On Tuesday, a nephrologist who is part of a medical commission told the court that Maradona’s kidney condition should have been a warning sign for his doctors, saying the footballer should have undergone “daily medical checkups, daily nursing care, blood tests and monitoring of his vital signs”.

If it is confirmed that the kidney test results belonged to Maradona’s father, it could undermine the medical commission that evaluated the circumstances of his death. The commission has been highly critical of the care Maradona received.

Responses from prosecution and defence

Prosecutor Patricio Ferrari told the court:

“They (the defence) will not succeed in bringing down the trial.”

A lawyer for one of the accused, nurse Nancy Forlini, said:

“I want this case to end so that my client knows her judicial fate.”

He denied any plans to seek a mistrial.

Source: AFP / RTÉ

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, TwitterTikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Source: rte.ie