News
Second suspect in Reiger Park killings to appear in Boksburg court
A 24-year-old second suspect in the Reiger Park killings will appear in the Boksburg Magistrates’ Court; police say he was arrested after a tracing operation.
A second suspect arrested in the Reiger Park killings is due to appear in the Boksburg Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, police confirmed, as investigators continue to piece together the events that left two Anti-Gang Unit officers and two women dead.
Arrest and court appearance
National police confirmed the suspect, a 24-year-old man, was arrested in Reiger Park on Sunday, August 16, by a multidisciplinary team made up of the Hawks, the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department, the SAPS Anti-Gang Unit and the Flying Squad.
The Hawks said he will make his first appearance in the Boksburg Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
Earlier suspect, charges and recovered weapons
Police have previously arrested 23-year-old Reagan Cheslin Collis in connection with the killings. Collis faces four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances, and charges relating to the possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition. His case was postponed to August 25 for a formal bail application.
Police said the earlier operation led to the recovery of two R5 rifles at the KwaDukathole informal settlement in Germiston.
Victims and scene
The shootings claimed the lives of Anti-Gang Unit officers Constables Thapelo Tlomatsana, 29, and Sphiwe Sibeko, 28, as well as civilians Roleen Lessing and Jaydin Margerman. Police said the officers were part of a crime-prevention team conducting patrols in the area when they heard gunshots and drove toward the source, where they were allegedly ambushed.
CCTV claims reported by IOL
According to IOL, a source who had seen CCTV footage disputed the police account that Collis was the shooter. IOL has seen the footage.
According to IOL, the source said Collis was inside his grandmother’s house when the shooting occurred, and the footage shows another man, wearing a dark hoodie and red tracksuit pants, firing at the two women before fleeing in a silver-grey Volkswagen Polo.
According to IOL, Collis is allegedly seen afterwards confronting the gunman and saying:
“I saw you.”
According to IOL, the same source said Collis and his friends had a longstanding rivalry with a gang known as the Sour Boys and had received threats from the group hours before the shooting. The source told IOL the attack was claimed to have been intended to target Collis and his associates.
Police response and community role
Acting Police Minister Professor Firoz Cachalia welcomed the arrests and praised the work of law enforcement teams, saying the developments showed determination to bring those responsible before the courts. He thanked community members who provided information that assisted the investigation and urged continued cooperation with police.
Acting national police commissioner Lieutenant-General Puleng Dimpane also welcomed the role of the Reiger Park community in assisting the investigation and urged residents to keep sharing information that could help identify and arrest those responsible for the violence.
Investigation and court processes are ongoing.
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: iol.co.za
