Connect with us

News

Brown Mogotsi remanded as Johannesburg court delays bail in alleged ‘fake assassination’ case

Published

on

North West businessman Brown Mogotsi will remain in custody after the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court postponed his bail proceedings in relation to an alleged staged assassination attempt.

Brief appearance in court

Mogotsi made a brief court appearance on Monday after spending the weekend in police custody. He faces five charges, including perjury and defeating the ends of justice.

Allegations of a staged shooting

Prosecutors allege that Mogotsi orchestrated his own shooting scare in November last year. At the time, Mogotsi said he narrowly escaped death when bullets struck his vehicle; investigators later opened a criminal probe amid suggestions the attack may have been staged, leading to his arrest.

Delay over address verification

Tension in court rose when the state told the magistrate that the address provided by Mogotsi earlier on Monday was incomplete and needed verification before bail arguments could proceed.

“The address that is to be verified is outside the province. Certain logistics are required for the police officers to move from one province to another,”

The prosecutor told the court that verification would require police movement between provinces.

Postponement to May 25

Defence lawyer Makau Sekgatja asked for a shorter postponement to Thursday, arguing there was no reason for extended detention. The court rejected that request and postponed the matter to May 25.

Where the case stands

For now, the man previously linked to backroom political influence remains behind bars as the investigation into the alleged fake assassination continues.

Contact: [email protected]

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, TwitterTikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Source: iol.co.za