News
Steve Biko Hospital to cut power on two floors for four-hour repairs
Steve Biko Academic Hospital will switch off power on levels 8 and 9 on Saturday 22 August 2026 for about four hours while electrical repairs are carried out, Gauteng Health says.
Steve Biko Academic Hospital will switch off electricity on two high floors for planned repairs on Saturday, 22 August 2026, the Gauteng Department of Health said, in a move that will affect maternity, neonatal and paediatric services for about four hours.
What is happening and when
The department said electricity on levels 8 and 9 will be switched off from 9am to 1pm on Saturday as teams carry out repairs to additional changeover breakers identified by experts. The work follows a major changeover intervention carried out in September 2025.
Which services will be affected
Gauteng health spokesperson Steve Mabona said both affected levels house critical services including Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Neonatal, and Paediatric units. He said six theatres, wards and critical care units on the two levels will be affected during the work.
Patient moves, surgeries and emergency cover
A multidisciplinary team of hospital management and clinicians began identifying high-risk patients for relocation earlier in the week, with those moves scheduled to start on Thursday and finish by Friday. “Patients receiving respiratory support will be moved to suitable areas where their care can continue safely,” Mabona said.
Thirty-three elective surgeries planned for the Level 8 theatre on Friday have been postponed. The department said emergency operations will continue in unaffected theatres elsewhere in the hospital and “Emergency clinical services will continue to be managed through the hospital’s contingency arrangements.”
Backup power and restoring normal operations
Mabona said generators will automatically take over the facility’s power supply within a few seconds to avoid dangerous delays. He reassured patients that the maintenance would have no impact on their health.
Restoring the hospital to normal operations after the intervention is expected to take about 16 hours, because relocated patients must be moved back to their original wards, Mabona said.
What comes next
The department said it will provide further updates ahead of a final round of work on Level 6. Mabona described the project as requiring “commitment and dedication from all of us for the care and safety of our patients.”
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: citizen.co.za
