Connect with us

News

Suspended crime sergeant Fannie Nkosi to remain in custody after cases postponed to September

Suspended organised crime sergeant Fannie Nkosi will stay in custody after his cases were postponed to September 15 for disclosure of dockets in the Pretoria Regional Court.

Published

on

Suspended organised crime sergeant Fannie Nkosi will remain in custody after his two criminal matters were postponed to 15 September for disclosure of dockets, the Pretoria North Magistrate’s Court heard on Wednesday.

Brief court appearance and transfer to Regional Court

Nkosi made a short appearance at the Pretoria North Magistrate’s Court. The matters have been moved to the Pretoria Regional Court after the National Prosecuting Authority secured a centralisation certificate to have the two cases heard together.

Nkosi has been in custody since his arrest on 2 April 2026.

Charges arising from April police raid

The first set of charges relates to a police operation at Nkosi’s home in Pretoria North on 2 April. A task team linked to the Madlanga Commission executed a search warrant following intelligence about the alleged illegal possession of ammunition.

Police reportedly found firearms, ammunition, a stun grenade, official South African Police Service dockets and other state-issued equipment at the property. Investigators also found more than R50,000 in cash hidden beneath a mattress. Nkosi allegedly could not provide a satisfactory explanation for the source of the money and was arrested. He faces charges including fraud, theft and defeating the ends of justice.

Allegations of docket tampering in Limpopo

The second matter concerns allegations in Limpopo that Nkosi posed as a senior police officer to obtain a docket. After the docket was returned to the police station, significant evidence was allegedly missing or had been tampered with. He was charged with fraud, theft and evidence tampering in that case.

Nkosi is also accused of acting as a middleman between alleged crime boss Vusimuzi “Cat” Matlala and senior police officers allegedly linked to the underworld. Additional charges against him include unlawful possession of explosives, failing to safeguard firearms (three counts), failing to safeguard ammunition (eight counts), defeating the administration of justice, failing to comply with firearm safe regulations and theft.

Disclosure and next steps

During the appearance, state prosecutor Trott Mphahlele told the court the State and defence had agreed to postpone the matters for disclosure. Nkosi’s lawyer, Katleho Maleo, confirmed the agreement and asked the court that the disclosure be provided, if possible, before 15 September.

“Reason being, Your Worship, I need time to consult with my client in prison,”

The State said the request was reasonable and that it would make every effort to provide the disclosure before the next appearance. The presiding officer postponed the matter to 15 September and Nkosi remains in custody.

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, TwitterTikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Source: iol.co.za