Large Parts of Tshwane Set to Be Without Water as Water Crisis Deepens
Large parts of Tshwane may experience water supply interruptions due to the flooding of the water-treatment plant engine room of the Zuikerbosch Pumping Station. According to Pretoria Rekord, Rand Water has notified Tshwane Metro of the flooding, which occurred while the water utility was fixing a significant water leak on their B8 pipeline from the Zuikerbosch water treatment plant to the Mapleton booster pumping station on April 12. This event has depleted all Rand Water reservoirs, some of which supply Tshwane areas.
Tshwane spokesperson Selby Bokaba has stated that the water utility updated the metro that all works had repaired equipment that had water ingress and pumping resumed on April 12. Pumping stations are now pumping at total capacity. However, the Mapleton system that supplies Tshwane suffered the most significant impact. As a result, its recovery will be slow and may take more than two weeks to recover fully.
Also read: Water Outages Crisis in Johannesburg: Mayor Amad Blames Rand Water and Reveals Shocking Lack of Communication
Due to this extended recovery process, some areas might experience low water supply. The affected areas include:
- Corobrik plant: Grootfontein 394-JR, Mooikloof Manor ext. 2, Rietfontein 375-JR, Rietfontein Ridge ext. 11, Rietvallei 377-JR, The Hills (all extensions), Tiegerpoort 371-JR, and Zwavelpoort 373-JR;
- Garsfontein reservoir, which feeds the following reservoirs: Despatch, Eersterust, Jan Niemandpark, Mamelodi, Silvertondale, and Waltloo;
- Kilner Park reservoir: Kilner Park; Koedoesnek LL reservoir: Die Wilgers (all extensions), Equestria (all extensions), Faerie Glen, Garsfontein, Koedoesnek AH, Life Wilgers Hospital, Lynnwood, Lynnwood Glen, Lynnwood Ridge, Struland AH, Wapadrand, Willow Glen, Willow Glen AH, and Zwartkoppies;
- Magalieskruin reservoir: Hartebeestfontein 324-JR and Wonderboom; Mamelodi R1 reservoir: Mamelodi, Mamelodi ext. 13, 27 and 34, and Mamelodi 608-JR;
- Mamelodi R2 reservoir: Mamelodi, Mamelodi 608-JR, and Mamelodi ext. 13 and 15;
- Montana reservoir: Annlin, Christiaanville, Cynthia Vale, Derdepoortpark, Doornpoort, Kenley AH, Kozeni AH, Magalieskruin, Montana (all extensions), AH, Montana Park, Montana Tuine, Pumulani AH, Sinoville, and Wolmaranspoort AH;
- Moreleta reservoir: Bellevue, Brummeria (all extensions), Chrysler Park, Georgeville, Lindo Park, Lydiana, Lynnwood Manor, Mopani, Navors, Scientia, Silverton (all extensions), Vlakfontein, and Weavind Park;
- Murrayfield reservoir: La Concorde, La Montagne, Meyerspark (all extensions), Murrayfield, Salieshoek, and Val-de-Grace;
- Parkmore LL reservoir: Alphen Park, Ashley Gardens, Constantia Park, De Beers, Faerie Glen, Garsfontein, Lynnwood Glen, Lynnwood Park, Maroelana, Menlyn, Newlands, Tshwane, and Waterkloof Glen; and
- Queenswood reservoir: Colbyn, Deerness, Koedoespoort, Koedoespoort 325-JR, Môregloed, Queenswood, Rietfontein, Rietfontein 321-JR, Riet.
Johannesburg Water Grappling with Huge Backlog of City-wide Reinstatements
Picture: Fran Jacquier on Unsplash