Connect with us

Crime

Mpumalanga fugitive arrested after 11 years during Operation Basadi

A 35-year-old murder suspect who evaded arrest for 11 years was captured in Mpumalanga during Operation Basadi, where police seized counterfeit goods worth about R619,960.

Published

on

A 35-year-old murder suspect who had been on the run for 11 years was arrested in Mpumalanga during a multi‑disciplinary police operation that also led to the seizure of counterfeit goods valued at about R619,960.

Operation Basadi and the arrest

The operation, led by Ehlanzeni District Commissioner Major General Dorah Xaba, took place on Thursday and focused on a roadblock on the N4 Road near the Nkomazi Toll Plaza. The operation was conducted in partnership with Traffic Officials, the South African Revenue Service (SARS) Customs, the Department of Home Affairs, Emergency Medical Services (EMS), vehicle tracking companies and private security personnel.

Police spokesperson Colonel Mavela Masondo said the arrested man is suspected of involvement in the murder of Mduduzi Nkuna, who was reportedly stabbed and killed at Block B, Tonga, in the Nkomazi area on 24 May 2015. Masondo said the operation also included tracing wanted suspects and raiding shops suspected of trading in counterfeit and illicit goods.

Seizures, arrests and fines

During the operation a total of 438 items of illicit and counterfeit goods including cosmetics, cell phone accessories, watches, toys and cigarettes were seized. The items were valued at about R619,960, Masondo said.

At the roadblock thirteen undocumented foreign nationals were arrested, and traffic fines totalling about R76,400 were issued to motorists for contraventions of the National Road Traffic Act, Masondo added.

Next steps and policing message

The arrested murder suspect is expected to appear in the Tonga Magistrate’s Court soon to face charges of murder, the police said.

“Operation Basadi continues to prove that when women in policing lead with determination, we get results that will boost public confidence in our communities. I thank my female colleagues and all our partners for their collaboration,”

The Provincial Commissioner of the Saps in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Apaphia Modise, praised female law enforcement officers for their commitment during Women’s Month and said Operation Basadi will continue during this month of August in order to enhance visibility, strengthen crime prevention and ensure the safety of all communities in Mpumalanga.

Investigations are continuing.

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, TwitterTikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Source: citizen.co.za