Connect with us

News

Three killed and two wounded in Newclare mass shooting

Three people were killed and two injured in a mass shooting at a Newclare flat on 15 August. Police have opened murder and attempted murder investigations.

Published

on

Three people were killed and two others injured in a mass shooting at a flat in Newclare, Johannesburg, on Saturday, 15 August, authorities said.

What happened

Provincial police spokesperson Captain Tintswalo Sibeko said police received a complaint of a shooting at approximately 9:34pm. On arrival, community members pointed officers to a flat where they alleged several people had been shot.

Victims and charges

Police entered the premises and found three victims aged between 18 and 20 lying inside the flat. Paramedics declared them deceased at the scene. Further investigation showed that two other victims, aged 18 and 23, had sustained gunshot wounds and were transported to hospital for treatment.

Sophiatown police have opened three counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder in relation to the incident.

Investigation under way

Captain Sibeko said the suspects are unknown and the circumstances surrounding the shooting remain under investigation. No arrests have been made at this stage.

“Police received a complaint of a shooting in Newclare. Upon arrival at the scene, community members pointed out a flat where they alleged that several people had been shot,” Sibeko said.

How the public can help

Police urged anyone with information that may assist the investigation to contact the Crime Stop Line on 08600 10111 or to submit information anonymously via the MySAPS App.

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, TwitterTikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Source: iol.co.za