Connect with us

News

Mogotsi returns to court as state withholds witness identities in alleged staged shooting

Brown Mogotsi returned to the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court as prosecutors withhold state witnesses’ identities over safety while preparing to move the alleged staged Vosloorus shooting towards trial.

Published

on

Political fixer Brown Mogotsi returned to the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court as prosecutors move closer to trial on allegations that he staged an assassination attempt on himself in Vosloorus last year. The court has ruled that the identities and addresses of state witnesses should remain confidential because of safety concerns.

Case progress and postponement

The matter was postponed to Thursday to allow the State to hand the remaining investigation docket to the defence before the case proceeds. Prosecutors told the court they were trial-ready but asked that witness identities be protected in the interests of justice.

Charges against Mogotsi

Mogotsi faces multiple Schedule 5 charges, including:

  • perjury
  • defeating the ends of justice
  • unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition
  • discharging a firearm in a public place
  • attempting to bribe the investigating officer

State allegations and evidence

The State alleges Mogotsi fired 11 rounds at his own vehicle and then falsely reported to police that unknown gunmen had ambushed him while he was driving through Vosloorus in November 2025. Investigators recovered 11 spent cartridge casings at the scene.

According to prosecutors, forensic analysis and CCTV footage contradicted Mogotsi’s account: the vehicle was stationary when it was shot and nobody was inside at the time. CCTV allegedly showed no other vehicles in the area, and the State says witnesses saw Mogotsi exit his vehicle, fire shots at it and later claim there had been an attempt on his life.

The State also alleges Mogotsi attempted to bribe a police officer in connection with his bail application and provided investigators with an incorrect residential address.

Witness protection and disclosure dispute

The defence sought details of state witnesses for trial preparation, but the court dismissed that application and allowed prosecutors to withhold the witness list. The State argued revealing identities could compromise witnesses’ safety and told the court that one witness had previously been approached by people allegedly linked to Mogotsi after personal details were disclosed during earlier bail proceedings.

“If for the purpose of preparing for his trial, he wants to do further investigations and prepare adequately for his trial,”

defence attorney Makau William Sekgatja argued in court.

State Advocate Thami Mpekana told the court the prosecution was trial-ready but wanted witness identities protected.

Ballistic links and other allegations

Investigators have alleged that ballistic evidence links the firearm used in the alleged staged shooting to other serious crimes, including murder. The firearm has not yet been recovered. The State has argued that the alleged ballistic link to murder and attempted murder cases strengthens its case.

Earlier judicial comments

During initial bail proceedings, the magistrate described the evidence as

“overwhelming”

.

Mogotsi is expected to appear in court on Thursday as the State prepares to move the matter towards trial.

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, TwitterTikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Source: iol.co.za