News
Brown Mogotsi back in court as state prepares trial in alleged staged assassination
Brown Mogotsi returns to Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court as prosecutors prepare to move to trial over an alleged staged Vosloorus assassination attempt and related charges.
Political fixer Brown Mogotsi returned to the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court as prosecutors move closer to trial on allegations he staged an assassination attempt on himself in Vosloorus last year.
Charges and prosecution case
Mogotsi faces multiple Schedule 5 charges, including perjury, defeating the ends of justice, unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition, discharging a firearm in a public place and attempting to bribe an investigating officer.
The State alleges Mogotsi fired 11 rounds at his own vehicle and then falsely reported to police that unknown gunmen had ambushed him while he was driving through Vosloorus in November 2025. Investigators recovered 11 spent cartridge casings at the scene.
Forensic evidence and CCTV
Prosecutors say ballistic analysis and CCTV footage contradicted Mogotsi’s account. The State contends forensic evidence shows the vehicle was stationary when it was shot and that nobody was inside at the time. CCTV footage allegedly showed no other vehicles in the area, which the State says undermines claims that attackers had followed and opened fire on him.
The State also alleges that witnesses saw Mogotsi exit his vehicle, fire shots at it and later claim there had been an attempt on his life.
Witness identities withheld for safety
The Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court dismissed Mogotsi’s application to force prosecutors to disclose the identities and addresses of state witnesses. The court ruled that the witnesses’ details should remain confidential because of safety concerns.
The State told the court that one witness had previously been approached by people allegedly linked to Mogotsi after personal details were disclosed during earlier bail proceedings. State Advocate Thami Mpekana told the court the prosecution was trial-ready but wanted the identities protected in the interests of justice.
Defence attorney Makau William Sekgatja argued the information was necessary for trial preparation. He told the court:
“If for the purpose of preparing for his trial, he wants to do further investigations and prepare adequately for his trial,”
Other allegations and next steps
Prosecutors also allege Mogotsi attempted to bribe a police officer in connection with his bail application and provided investigators with an incorrect residential address.
Investigators have further alleged that ballistic evidence links the firearm used in the alleged staged shooting to other serious crimes, including murder. The firearm has not yet been recovered. The State has argued the alleged link to other murder and attempted murder cases strengthens its case.
During the initial bail proceedings a magistrate described the evidence as “overwhelming”.
Court appearance scheduled
The matter was postponed to allow the State to hand the remaining investigation docket to the defence before the case proceeds. Mogotsi is expected to appear in court on Thursday as the State prepares to move the matter towards trial.
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: iol.co.za
