Connect with us

News

Second arrest in Reiger Park killings hailed as step toward justice

Acting Police Minister Firoz Cachalia welcomed the arrest of a second suspect in the Reiger Park killings that left two Anti‑Gang Unit officers and two women dead.

Published

on

Acting Police Minister Prof Firoz Cachalia has welcomed the arrest of a second suspect in the fatal shootings in Reiger Park, Ekurhuleni that killed two Gauteng Anti‑Gang Unit officers and two women last week.

Arrest and operation

Police said a 24‑year‑old man was arrested on Sunday afternoon by a multidisciplinary team made up of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks), the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department, the SAPS Anti‑Gang Unit and the Flying Squad. According to the police, the second suspect is expected to appear in the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court this week.

Official reactions

Cachalia described the arrest as “another important step towards ensuring that everyone responsible for this senseless loss of life is held accountable.” He also thanked community members who provided information to law enforcement and said the developments showed the commitment and determination of law enforcement teams to bring those responsible before the courts.

Acting national police commissioner Lieutenant‑General Puleng Dimpane welcomed the role of the Reiger Park community in assisting the investigation and said: “This arrest is not only a victory for SAPS; it is also a demonstration of the power of a community that refuses to be silenced by criminals.” She urged residents to continue providing information to law enforcement.

Earlier arrest and disputed account

Earlier this month, police announced the arrest of 23‑year‑old Reagan Cheslin Collis, whom they maintain is the alleged gunman responsible for the shootings. Collis was arrested after an operation that led to the recovery of two R5 rifles at the KwaDukathole informal settlement in Germiston.

Collis faces charges including four counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of robbery with aggravating circumstances, and offences related to unlicensed firearms and ammunition. His case was postponed to August 25 for a bail application.

CCTV footage and source claims

According to IOL, a source familiar with the incident who had seen related CCTV footage disputed the police version and claimed Collis may not have been the shooter. IOL has seen the footage.

According to the source, Collis was inside his grandmother’s house when the shooting took place.

IOL reported that the CCTV footage allegedly shows another man, wearing a dark hoodie and red tracksuit pants, shooting the two women before fleeing in a silver‑grey Volkswagen Polo. IOL also reported that Collis is allegedly seen afterwards confronting the gunman and saying: “I saw you.”

IOL further reported allegations that Collis and his friends had a longstanding rivalry with a gang known as the Sour Boys and had received threats hours before the shooting, and that the attack was claimed to have been intended to target Collis and his associates.

Victims

The shootings claimed the lives of Anti‑Gang Unit officers Constables Thapelo Tlomatsana, 29, and Sphiwe Sibeko, 28, as well as civilians Roleen Lessing and Jaydin Margerman. Police said the officers were part of a crime‑prevention team conducting patrols in the area when they heard gunshots and drove towards the source, where they were allegedly ambushed.

What police are asking from the public

Both Cachalia and Dimpane emphasised the importance of community cooperation with police. Cachalia said: “The co‑operation between communities and the police is critical in ensuring that those who commit such heinous crimes are brought to justice.”

Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, TwitterTikTok and Instagram

For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com

Source: iol.co.za