News
ANC backs Johannesburg MMC amid allegations, urges investigation and sensitivity
ANC calls for probe and sensitivity after alleged arrest of Joburg MMC
The ANC’s Johannesburg branch has publicly responded to allegations that Economic Development MMC Nomoya Mnisi was involved in a police incident this past weekend, saying it takes the claims seriously while urging respect for the rights of those involved. The statement was released as political rivals raised concerns about interference and the withdrawal of a criminal complaint.
What the parties say
ActionSA and the Democratic Alliance (DA) both highlighted an incident in which a Johannesburg MMC was reportedly arrested on charges including kidnapping and assault. ActionSA named the alleged perpetrators as Economic Development MMC Nomoya Mnisi and her bodyguard, and said the criminal complaint had since been withdrawn.
The ANC said on Wednesday that it welcomed an investigation into the matter and stressed that “violence and intimidation were unacceptable.”
“At the same time, the ANC cautions against grandstanding by other political parties and emphasises the importance of respecting the rights of all parties involved,”
Allegations noted by the ANC
The regional ANC statement acknowledged the incident related to allegations of assault, kidnapping, and the threatening of a minor with a firearm, and said it “notes with serious concern the allegations levelled against its deployee to the City of Johannesburg Council, MMC Nomoya Mnisi.”
The branch added that “Matters involving the safety and well-being of children are of particular concern and must receive the urgent attention of law enforcement authorities.” It said it would monitor developments and encouraged authorities to “act without fear or favour” in pursuing legal matters.
Calls from opposition parties and claims of interference
ActionSA called for Mnisi to be dismissed immediately, saying the incident reflected poorly on the municipality and alleging the complainant withdrew the case “most likely under duress.”
The DA repeated claims of interference, describing the matter as indicative of “lawlessness” within the municipality. DA Johannesburg caucus leader Belinda Kayser-Echeozonjoku told media that whistleblowers alleged victims assaulted by another MMC were blocked from opening a case, and that one complainant was still waiting for a case number days later.
The DA caucus leader has written to National Director of Public Prosecutions Andy Mothibi requesting an investigation into why the case was withdrawn, and detailed initial police case numbers and two reference numbers related to the incident in her letter, according to reporting.
Authorities and municipality contacted
Gauteng police were contacted for confirmation, but no response had been received at the time of publication. The City of Johannesburg was also emailed for comment on Mnisi’s position and the interference claims; its response was not available when the story was published.
ANC asks for privacy as family mourns
The ANC suggested the incident may have stemmed from a personal matter and asked that Mnisi be afforded “the necessary space and dignity to mourn the passing of her mother” in private, while adding that “the matter before the law must take its course” and urging stakeholders to act with sensitivity to the family’s bereavement.
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: citizen.co.za
