News
Bail hearing for accused ‘Witness D’ killer resumes after interpreter dispute
Proceedings delayed over language issue
The matter was stood down after Sotheni told the court on Thursday that he speaks Xhosa and struggled to understand the Zulu interpreter. The presiding officer arranged for a Xhosa interpreter and the bail application continued on Friday.
Charges and background
Sotheni is accused of killing Mauris Van Der Merwe, known as “Witness D,” at his Brakpan home on 5 December 2025. He was arrested on 14 March 2026 and faces 16 charges, including murder, conspiracy to commit murder, three counts of attempted murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, ammunition-related offences and theft.
The shooting allegedly occurred in front of Van Der Merwe’s family; his wife and two children were reportedly traumatised but unharmed. Van Der Merwe had testified at the Madlanga Commission weeks before his death, identifying alleged misconduct within the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department and implicating suspended deputy chief Julius Mkhwanazi in the alleged murder of Emmanuel Mbhense.
State allegations and linked individuals
The State alleges Sotheni conspired with Wiandre Pretorius to murder Van Der Merwe. Pretorius, who had links to the Madlanga Commission, later died by suicide at a petrol station in Brakpan. The State says Pretorius drove a Suzuki Swift linked to Sotheni’s girlfriend. Pretorius had previously survived a shooting in which his vehicle was reportedly struck 16 times.
Accused’s plea and personal circumstances
In an affidavit read to the court by his lawyer, Nthabiseng Mohamane, Sotheni denied involvement in the killing and asked to be released on bail because of family responsibilities.
“I respectfully ask the court to release me on bail. I have not been found guilty and I deny that I was involved in the matter of the deceased,”
Sotheni told the court he is 42 years old and supports several dependants, including three minor children, elderly parents and his late sister’s children. He said his 82-year-old father is terminally ill with cancer and his 76-year-old mother suffers from diabetes. He also said he had been separated from his wife, Ntombizodwa “Zodwa” Bambo, for about two years and no longer lived at the Bedfordview property they jointly owned.
Sotheni told the court he was not a flight risk and had already handed his passport to the investigating officer. He described his role in his children’s lives and disputed the State’s suggestion that his wife and girlfriend could financially support themselves.
Medical and financial requests
Mohamane told the court her client was unwell and had sought medical assistance at the prison without success. She said Sotheni wanted private medical treatment but was told he would need to pay R2,000 for transport and that his bank account had been closed, requiring a curatorship letter from the court to access funds.
The State opposed intervention by the court on the financial issue and said medical facilities were available at the prison. The prosecutor told the court that arrangements for private treatment should be handled between Sotheni and the correctional facility and that the court could not act on the bank account without knowing why it had been blocked or closed.
Next steps
The magistrate postponed the matter to Friday for the continuation of the bail application and for a Xhosa interpreter to be present.
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: iol.co.za
