The eagerly anticipated African Rainbow Gold Cup is set to kick off this Saturday, with matches spread across 16 club grounds in various corners of South Africa. From the mining town of Kathu to the picturesque coastal town of Saldanha and from the scenic Hartbeespoort to the historic town of Uitenhage, the tournament is set to capture the nation’s sporting spirit as reported by Springboks.rugby.
The opening round promises intense competition as 32 clubs battle for a coveted spot in the round of 16. This tournament stage features a straight knock-out format, where every match is a do-or-die affair.
The defending champions, Rustenburg Impala, who last claimed the title in 2019, face a formidable challenge with an away game against Secunda. Meanwhile, False Bay, the only other past winners competing this year, is gearing up to welcome Heidelberg to their home ground in Cape Town.
As the excitement builds, the schedule for the upcoming rounds of the tournament is as follows:
- Round of 16: The weekend of September 15, 16, and 17
- Quarter-finals: The weekend of September 22, 23, and 24
- Semi-finals: The weekend of September 29 and 30
- Final showdown: Scheduled for October 7, where the ultimate victor will be crowned.
The African Rainbow Gold Cup promises thrilling rugby action as these clubs from diverse regions of South Africa vie for supremacy, making it an exciting spectacle for rugby enthusiasts nationwide.
African Rainbow Gold Cup Round 1 Fixtures (Saturday, September 9):
- Raiders vs Vereeniging (Johannesburg)
- Progress vs Kimberley (Uitenhage)
- Crusaders vs Tygerberg (George)
- East London Police vs Bella Vista (East London)
- Sasol Secunda vs Rustenburg Impala (Secunda)
- Welkom Rugby Club vs Harlequins (Welkom)
- False Bay vs Heidelberg (Cape Town)
- College Rovers vs Centurion (Durban)
- Wolverines vs White River (Hartbeespoort)
- Northam Rhinos vs Collegians (Setaria)
- Bloemfontein Police vs Louis Trichardt (Bloemfontein)
- Naka Bulle vs Union Milnerton (Pretoria)
- Springs vs Pirates (Springs)
- Sishen vs PE Harlequins (Kathu)
- Saldanha Bay vs Ncera Leopards (Saldanha)
- Wesbank vs Westville Old Boys (Malmesbury)
The African Rainbow Gold Cup promises an exhilarating journey for rugby fans, celebrating the sport’s passion and camaraderie across South Africa’s diverse landscapes.
Follow us on Google News
Photo: Facebook / @Springboks