News
Sassa sacks 43 officials over fraud and corruption as investigations continue
Agency moves to clean house after misconduct uncovered
The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) has dismissed 43 officials implicated in fraud, theft, corruption and serious maladministration during the 2025/2026 financial year, the agency told Parliament on Wednesday.
Revealed at appropriations committee
The dismissals were disclosed when the Department of Social Development, Sassa and the National Development Agency appeared before Parliament’s Standing Committee on Appropriations to present budget allocations and measures to protect public funds.
Investigations and prosecutions under way
Sassa CEO Themba Matlou told the committee the dismissals followed “stringent measures” introduced to combat fraud and corruption within the agency. He said the dismissed officials were facing investigations by law enforcement agencies and that some had already appeared in court.
“These cases are at various stages of prosecution,” Matlou said.
Matlou described the dismissals as part of efforts to “root out bad apples” damaging the integrity of the social grants system and said the agency was strengthening its fraud prevention strategy.
More disciplinary matters still pending
Matlou said Sassa’s internal Fraud Management and Compliance Department had been central to detecting and investigating corrupt activity. He warned that further action was possible: there are 65 outstanding cases to be finalised by the agency’s Labour Relations Unit.
Department pledges stronger accountability
Acting Social Development Minister Sindisiwe Chikunga pledged support for greater accountability and financial prudence across the department and its entities. The department said interventions would include strengthened internal controls and procurement oversight, regular expenditure monitoring and compliance checks, enhanced audit and reporting systems, improved consequence management, and ongoing fraud awareness and ethics work.
Service upgrades planned amid anniversary
Sassa told Parliament of planned digital and service-delivery upgrades for the current financial year, including:
- implementation of a mobile app and offline capability systems
- a single user interface and cybersecurity and threat intelligence systems
- online grant applications and self-service kiosks at offices
- Wi‑Fi and network upgrades at local offices
Matlou noted Sassa was marking its 20th anniversary since being established in 2006 and reiterated the agency’s commitment to improving services for beneficiaries.
Health department advises clinic use for disability forms
The Gauteng Department of Health and Wellness urged disability grant applicants who need medical verification forms for Sassa to visit clinics and community health centres rather than hospitals.
“Clinics and CHCs are closer to communities and are better placed to assist with Sassa-related forms without placing an additional financial burden on applicants,” Gauteng Health MEC Faith Mazibuko said. “We appeal to residents to only use hospitals for services that require specialised care.”
The department also advised applicants to bring their Sassa documents, identity documents and available medical records when visiting clinics or community health centres to help healthcare workers complete the forms accurately.
Follow Joburg ETC on Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram
For more News in Johannesburg, visit joburgetc.com
Source: citizen.co.za
