SAPS is advising residents on how to prevent fires, particularly given the bitterly cold temperatures lately. The authorities urge the public to avoid lighting fires inside houses or shacks, never smoke in bed or leave candles burning at night, and never leave the kitchen unattended while cooking.
Additionally, residents should:
- inspect their heating sources
- store flammable items properly
- maintain their wires
- be cautious with open flames, and
- always keep a blanket or fire extinguisher nearby.
In a fire, residents are encouraged to notify the fire department if the fire is growing larger, more intense, or life-threatening.
Follow us on Google News.